This ProtectmyID review is completed to educate consumers about the features of this identity theft protection service provided by Experian which is one of the main consumer credit reporting agencies in the USA. When signing up for Experian’s ProtectmyID identity theft protection services, a customer is first asked to enter the following information to create an account for login:
· User name
· Reminder phrase from one of the options provided related to school, street, car, friends, etc.
· Answer related to the above phrase question
· Social Security Number
· Mother’s Maiden Name ( The accuracy of this information did not seem to matter at the time of this ProtectmyID review for creating an account and starting the identity monitoring services)
· Date of Birth
· Phone Number (It is better to provide a number that you can be readily contacted such as cell phone number)
Then, in order to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information, Experian asks a couple of questions related to your credit file to verify your identity through Experian. You have 5 minutes to complete this.
These questions are specifically chosen because ONLY you should know the correct answer. You should select "None of the Above" if none of the answers shown are correct.
The questions might be structured as illustrated in the following examples which offer 5 options from which you can only select one answer:
1. Which of the following institutions do you have a bank account with? If there is not a matched bank name, please select 'NONE OF THE ABOVE'.
2. Please select the county for the address you provided.
These questions can be different for each person based on the information in the credit report but this should give you an idea about what types of questions are asked and why.
Once confirmed, you can access My Protection Center where you could see the below message which you could also hide afterwards to just see the main options:
Welcome! We are
excited to provide you with
comprehensive identity protection from Experian®.
ProtectMyID offers multiple layers of defense to protect your identity. Follow these 3 easy steps to get started.
Step 1 - Check your Experian Credit Report for potential signs of identity theft by clicking on 'View My Current Credit Report” below.
Step 2 - Take the Self-Assessment test and spend a few minutes to assess your risk level and find ways to improve it.
Step 3 - To receive your Surveillance Alerts via text messages, click on "Edit Profile" above, and then "Alert Settings".
If you have any questions at any time, please call our Customer Care Center at 1-866-579-4428.
Based on the ProtectmyID review, the main areas of My Protection Center are the following and depending on your purchased identity protection plan, information related to these areas may be available to view and/or download:
1. Credit Alerts
2. Change of Address Alerts
3. View Credit reports
4. Experian Report and Score
5. All 3 credit Reports and Scores
6. Identity Theft Resolution Team
7. $1 Million Identity Theft Insurance
To sign back into the account later using the user name and password that you initially created, you are asked to enter the last 4 digits of your Social security Number to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information.
Read other reviews after reading the ProtectmyID review.